Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis 'Colleagues' (As they say in Asda's)
Basically, my very very simple views on these fellows...

1.Chester Thompson - Top soulful drummer, love him. Cool

1977 tour until present.

2. Daryl Stuermer - Top technical guitarist, seems a genuine guy. Big Grin

1978 tour until present.

3. Bill 'look at me' Bruford - Nooooooooooooooo. Confused

1976 tour only. (Thank the lord for small mercy's).

4. Nir Zidkyahu - Awesome drummer for CAS Big Grin

'Calling All Stations' album 1997

5. Nick D'Virgilio - He's ok, Like the tracks he played on 'CAS' album.

'Calling All Stations' album 1997

"If That's What You Need"
"Uncertain Weather"
"Small Talk"

6. Anthony Drennan - Mike's Irish mate, played on Mike and the Mechanics stuff as well as Genesis on tour with CAS. Great guitarist, like him a lot.

Not gonna include Ray Wilson as He is classed as a 'proper' member!

..............Bring on the Bruford lovers.................Dodgy
Gary....Couldn't agree more about BB... Totally the wrong choice for drummer for Genesis.

Love his work with Yes but he ruins the Genesis songs he plays on.

It's almost as if he didn't learn them and busked it......
Best wishes

Cool

John
(29-02-2012, 11:44 AM)John Wilkinson Wrote: Gary....Couldn't agree more about BB... Totally the wrong choice for drummer for Genesis.

Love his work with Yes but he ruins the Genesis songs he plays on.

It's almost as if he didn't learn them and busked it......

Yeah, agree, even listening to some of the bootlegs very late into the tour, he is still doing some of the same bungled messy errors!

He's fine on Close to the edge' etc!
Big Grin
(29-02-2012, 11:44 AM)John Wilkinson Wrote: It's almost as if he didn't learn them and busked it......

He's a jazzer. Whilst 'busking' may be a derogatory term in the case of Mr. Bruford, he's still 'making it up as he goes along' even if he isn't 'a very naughty boy'.

As a fellow drummer, he's awesome. He's the only drummer yet to completely confuse me so that I don't know how he is playing what he plays.
Bruford is a very similar drummer to Phil and, in a 1977 interview, he said that they both had to try hard to avoid stepping on each other's toes because of this. Chester, on the other hand, interlocked wth Phil's style perfectly and their playing was always complimentary - which was why those duets have always worked so well; they're not a duel, just two well-matched performers playing alongside each other.

Bruford has often said if you're looking to someone to keep time on stage, don't look at him. He likes to tinker and toy with the music, often playing deliberately out of time and avoiding the big, obvious dynamics of the tune to create something unpredictable and surprising.

History has proven, though, that although Phil enjoyed his time playing with Bill in Genesis, Chester was the man for the job. Coming from his jazz fusion and soul background, he introduced an element to Genesis music that wasn't really there before.

Daryl, again, brought something new to the sound. Genesis were not virtuoso musicians but Daryl is. He took hoary old solos like The Fountain Of Salmacis and Firth Of Fifth, blew the dust off them, and really made them shine.

Some people hark back to the old days of Genesis and talk of a classic five-man line-up. Well, for me the classic five-man line-up is Tony, Phil, Mike, Daryl and Chester. Tony, Mike and Phil may have written and recorded the music but Daryl and Chester were the ones who took it up another level in a live setting.
Mama's Boy.

Totally agree with the sentiments that the "Classic" Genesis line up is the one on the last tour.
Peter and Steve contributed a tremendous amount to the Genesis sound but that was the longest serving line up by far.

Love Daryl's take on Steve's solos and The Fountain Of Salmacis Knebworth 88 is by FAR the best version. So much energy and power there
Best wishes

Cool

John
(13-03-2012, 11:53 AM)John Wilkinson Wrote: Totally agree with the sentiments that the "Classic" Genesis line up is the one on the last tour. Peter and Steve contributed a tremendous amount to the Genesis sound but that was the longest serving line up by far.

I'm not so sure. The reason the 'classic line up' in any band exists at all is because that lineup was the group of musicians that created a piece of music that was more than the sum of it's parts. I don't see Daryl or Chester composing such classics and I've zero evidence that they ever had a hand in creating any Genesis music beyond playing live or in session. Both of those musicians played on everything that Genesis and PC ever did for several years and yet their names never crop up on writing credits. Do you think PC would specifically bar such great musicians from entering the composers world? Maybe not. I'd say he probably never invited them.

Yes are another great example of classic lineups. So good an example in fact that they have more than one classic lineup. Mind you, what band can compete with Yes when it comes to lineup changes?

Sure Daryl and Chester are great musicians. Better than Genesis? Probably. But you know, I can play Los Endos on drums. I can play Home By The Sea. I can play Domino, No son, Can't Hurry Love, Two Hearts, In The Air Tonight, Mama, Ripples, Afterglow, The Old Medley, The Drum Duets and the tamborine solo. Heck, I can even play That's All! Smile But I'll never be able to create those tracks at a time when that kind of music was new and groundbreaking. I'm not classic lineup material.
I have an interview from 1979 where Phil speaks about them both being on the next Genesis album (Duke). He wanted to bring Chester for a double drum thing which turned out to be "Dukes Travels" and Daryl has said that he thought he would be on their albums.

The decision was made to keep it to the three of them when they jammed and wrote Duke at Phil's home in 1979 as far as I know.

Best wishes

Cool

John
AngryAngry
I find it a bit silly that you can name a classic line up that includes two guys who weren't a part of the band.
Sure they were immense in their contributions to the live Genesis sound but what Andrew says is absolutely correct. They were not composers for the original versions they played on, which means (probably/possibly) the reason many people heard them in the first place.??.
A different discussion is whether they should have been a part of the band (certainly Chester's offer 'refused'...??) but for me, Andrew, you're completely, 100% correct!! Smile
I can't believe anybody could name a classic line-up that didn't include PG or SH.
Would Firth of Fifth solo or Blood on the Rooftops (and sooooooooo many more? even have existed? - never mind The Lamb........Huh

EDIT: technically, I can't imagine there would be too many people say Mike is a better guitarist than Daryl - but the point is, even after Steve left, the great guitar stuff that was on the Genesis albums was by Mike and not Daryl. Same logic for when Steve left. Musical Box....... aaaaaaaahSmileSmileSmile Sure, Daryl is great on Firth of Fifth etc. - but that doesn't make him a part of the line up - or its composer..
Well, all I can say is the five-man line-up with Daryl and Chester is my classic lineup. I wasn't listening to them when PG or SH were in the group so the group I grew up with was the one with Daryl and Chester.

What those fellas brought to the live sound of Genesis can't be summed up in words - just listen to their playing.

And would Genesis have even made albums like Duke or Abacab had they not played with Daryl and Chester? Those cats loosened up the sound of Genesis and, as with any musician you work with, their influence rubs off. So, no they don't have writing credits on the songs but their influence is still there. It's so obvious it can't be denied.

And Andrew, you might want to check the writing credits on some of Phil's albums. There's a certain Daryl Stuermer listed on a few of his tracks...Smile