Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunder and Lighting Live
I know Thunder and Lighting was only played on Phil's first tour. Always wondered why this song was not played on any other tours. I thought it was a good Live track.
I have a great version of this song on the " Live at Normal" bootleg Wink
Best wishes

Cool

John
(02-02-2012, 12:29 AM)John Wilkinson Wrote: I have a great version of this song on the " Live at Normal" bootleg Wink

Yeah I have it on a soundboard somewhere, love it.
I haven't listened to the Normal, Illinois gig for some time - I believe it was my very first PC bootleg (from the old genesis hub group, no less) - and I agree it's one great gig. Phil's in fine form both vocally and with the banter. And the band are tight and hot.

Thunder And Lightning is a great second song and I can only think that it was dropped because he felt he had better songs in the same mould.
(16-02-2012, 09:34 PM)Mamas Boy Wrote: Thunder And Lightning is a great second song and I can only think that it was dropped because he felt he had better songs in the same mould.

It must be a nightmare for a band that's been around years and has hundreds of great tracks to choose from to play at a gig. I mean, how on Earth does Genesis sit down at a table and create a set list, knowing they have to play it the same night after night on a long tour? Maybe they get sick of playing the big hits but feel they have to in order to please the fans. And you know all along that the band only has a finite number of tours in it.

In tribute world, it's a bit different. Whilst we do have to think about pleasing the crowd, the gig is also for the band as Genesis fans. We don't have to think about not playing some of the more obscure tracks because we can gig for years and chop and change the set list as and when we need something new in there.

I'm wholly looking forward to hearing Mama perform the classics, the earlier stuff I'm not so familiar with and some obscure stuff for my musical education from time to time.
Genesis always drew the set list from the current album. After that I think it was a case of working backwards through material that worked onstage and for which they still had an affection. Very few of their set-lists remained unchanged throughout the tour, though. The set for A Trick Of The Tail (one of the most balanced of their sets) never changed once Supper's Ready had been introduced to it and the We Can't Dance set list only had minor changes (Mama being dropped when Phil couldn't reach the high notes, Dreaming While You Sleep being dropped because it didn't suit the big outdoor venues...and who can forget the addition of The Carpet Crawlers at the gig in Southampton?).
(17-02-2012, 09:13 PM)Mamas Boy Wrote: Dreaming While You Sleep being dropped because it didn't suit the big outdoor venues...

I'm curious. Why would anyone think that Dreaming While You Sleep would work in a small theatre but not a big outdoor venue?
I've only heard the performance from the Astrodome and, to my memory, there was a fair bit of talking during it. Then again, I remember a lot of people talking during Fading Lights at Roundhay Park (Philestines!). When Genesis were interviewed by Radio One during the tour (this was back when Radio One actually played music, you understand) Phil said the song was dropped because, although they loved playing it, it was just going over peoples' heads. For me, it's one of the best songs on the album.