Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis / Radio 2 / Documentary / TOTP2
Hi all,

Presumably, all you Genesis fans saw our recent email newsletter with links to various promotion interviews and programmes that Genesis were doing on Friday just gone?

What did you think of the documentary on BBC 2? I can't make my mind up, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Considering his significant contribution to the earlier Genesis works, Hackett hardly got any screen time.

I've not watched TOTP2 which was screened right after the documentary, yet. I'm saving it for a rainy day / some spare time. Not that I have much spare time at the moment.
I thought it was OK in parts but the whole 'Together and Apart' title was a terrible joke.
Steve Hackett's contributions to Genesis were largely overlooked and his solo career pretty much completely overlooked. In fact, for large parts, he was actually completely out of camera shot too. He's the only one keeping the Genesis flame alight FFS.AngryAngry
Tony Banks came across as a sad, bitter and jealous old man.
(15-10-2014, 06:28 PM)stevejw Wrote: I thought it was OK in parts but the whole 'Together and Apart' title was a terrible joke. Steve Hackett's contributions to Genesis were largely overlooked and his solo career pretty much completely overlooked. In fact, for large parts, he was actually completely out of camera shot too. He's the only one keeping the Genesis flame alight FFS.AngryAngry
Tony Banks came across as a sad, bitter and jealous old man.

Agreed. If you're going to call the documentary "Together & Apart" then the content at least should be about the members of Genesis both together as a band and apart in their solo careers. Whatever anyone says about Hackett doing his Genesis Revisited albums and tours - those works should be of major interest to Genesis fans. Yet they never mentioned them once?

Personally, I think there is a lot of politics going on out of view in the Genesis camp. You've got three guys who are members of the band and like it just the way it is and two estranged members with a real contribution to make, that just don't get the screen time.

I reckon Hackett would have jumped at the chance to do the 2007 tour. Gabriel, less so and it makes less sense for Gabriel to do it considering he's a lead vocalist and they already have one of those. Was Hackett even asked though? I suspect not. I'd wager that the three current members see current Genesis as it is now and all the other members are just history.

Mind you, if Hackett HAD been asked to do the 2007 tour with Collins, Banks and Rutherford, would they have performed material that would have interested him? I can't see the three remaining members having an interest in playing most of the earlier material.

Another thought.... If Genesis HAD taken Hackett on tour with them and they HAD performed some of the earlier material, would that material have worked in front of half a million people in Rome? I'm not so sure.

I can easily imagine a small, hard core group of older Genesis fans loving it and the other 480,000 people in the audience wondering what on Earth is going on. :-)
I think the four-man-lineup was never really a consideration; they were really there to discuss The Lamb. When it was clear that Peter was going to simply "um" and "ah" about the whole thing, they realised they were really no further forward. I think they then made the logical decision which was to take onto the road the Genesis that most people knew about, the all-conquering, chart-shaking lineup that never really got a chance to say goodbye after it all went pear-shaped.

I'm no Hackett fan - I'm not into his music, I thought the Genesis Revisited project was totally redundant and I've never liked how he comes across in interviews. That said, he was in the band for most of the seventies and did deserve to be featured more. I know that Phil sent him some supportive emails in the wake of the documentary being shown as he, too, didn't feel that the show was everything it should have been.

Tony surprised me with his attitude, though. On the 2007 tour, it was mentioned just how mellow he is now, compared to before. Clearly it didn't take long for each member to slip into their roles, though. Still, there's less animosity between them than, say, in Yes or Pink Floyd.