Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranting about my internet accessibility!
Grrr.... Really annoying this! My Sky broadband router has finally packed up. It just sits there making a whistling sound to annoy me. I can't play Battlefield 3 because even the single player part of the game requires an internet connection for some obscure reason!

To add insult to injury, my iPhone ran out of data allowance days ago, due to the fact that I spend all my time looking at the Mama website! Double grrr!

And a further annoyance - every time I phone Sky to try and get my router issue sorted out, they play me a recorded message to tell me they're simply to busy to take any support calls because it's a bit windy!

What is the world coming to? I'm not a happy bunny! :-(

Does anyone know how to fix a Sky broadband Net Gear router without using a hammer? I've got 30 quid credit in iTunes and no way of spending it!

And let's not mention the fact that I put on four pound over Xmas!
Oh too late.... Hammer and router have been introduced. Hammer won. Router sorry.

I'll change the question slightly... does anyone have a spare router than they don't want, that will work on Sky broadband? :-)
(06-01-2012, 10:07 AM)Andrew Prince Wrote: Grrr.... Really annoying this! My Sky broadband router has finally packed up. It just sits there making a whistling sound to annoy me. I can't play Battlefield 3 because even the single player part of the game requires an internet connection for some obscure reason!

To add insult to injury, my iPhone ran out of data allowance days ago, due to the fact that I spend all my time looking at the Mama website! Double grrr!

And a further annoyance - every time I phone Sky to try and get my router issue sorted out, they play me a recorded message to tell me they're simply to busy to take any support calls because it's a bit windy!

What is the world coming to? I'm not a happy bunny! :-(

Does anyone know how to fix a Sky broadband Net Gear router without using a hammer? I've got 30 quid credit in iTunes and no way of spending it!

And let's not mention the fact that I put on four pound over Xmas!
Oh too late.... Hammer and router have been introduced. Hammer won. Router sorry.

I'll change the question slightly... does anyone have a spare router than they don't want, that will work on Sky broadband? :-)

Andrew.

I ahev a router that Talk Talk sent me as a replacement when my original one appeared to have broken..... It has not been out of the box so not sure if it will work with Sky but you are welcome to try.

Bring it Sunday

BW

John

(06-01-2012, 12:30 PM)John Wilkinson Wrote: I have a router that Talk Talk sent me as a replacement when my original one appeared to have broken..... It has not been out of the box so not sure if it will work with Sky but you are welcome to try.

I doubt it will work on Sky but bring it along anyway. It's worth a try! Thanks mate. Smile
(06-01-2012, 12:48 PM)Andrew Prince Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 12:30 PM)John Wilkinson Wrote: I have a router that Talk Talk sent me as a replacement when my original one appeared to have broken..... It has not been out of the box so not sure if it will work with Sky but you are welcome to try.

I doubt it will work on Sky but bring it along anyway. It's worth a try! Thanks mate. Smile

Will do
Best wishes

Cool

John
It won't work right away but you can make another router work.
To do it you would first need to plug your laptop into the router (via a standard RG45 network cable) and go to the routers webpage in Internet explorer (usually something like http://192.168.1.254) and change some settings to match Sky. John, if you have the letter that came with it from tiscali/TalkTalk it will have password info etc.
You will also need to have the Sky router settings handy.
Some settings are as follows:
Encapsulation: PPPoA
VPI 0
VCI 38
Multiplexing: VC
IP Address, Subnet Mask & Gateway IP address, DNS need to changed to match Sky's ones too.

Brian.

(07-01-2012, 05:15 PM)cavalcanti Wrote: You will also need to have the Sky router settings handy.
Some settings are as follows:
Encapsulation: PPPoA
VPI 0
VCI 38
Multiplexing: VC
IP Address, Subnet Mask & Gateway IP address, DNS need to changed to match Sky's ones too.

Oooh! A fellow techie! Smile

I've got around the problem by borrowing a Sky branded router from a friend. The problem with the Netgear routers that Sky use is they put their own firmware on them which apparently has their PPPoA login details hard coded. There is a way to hack the username and password using nothing more than a web browser, but my router was so 'almost dead', it wouldn't keep a ping going more than five seconds and I can't type fast enough to hack it!

Anyway.... Sky decided the router was broke and they're sending me a new one. They said it would cost £28.00. I told them I would think about it. 24 hours later, they're offering me a free replacement. What do you know? Seems they're not as dumb as they first appear!

Thanks for the info. Smile
[/quote]

Oooh! A fellow techie! Smile

I've got around the problem by borrowing a Sky branded router from a friend. The problem with the Netgear routers that Sky use is they put their own firmware on them which apparently has their PPPoA login details hard coded. There is a way to hack the username and password using nothing more than a web browser, but my router was so 'almost dead', it wouldn't keep a ping going more than five seconds and I can't type fast enough to hack it!

Anyway.... Sky decided the router was broke and they're sending me a new one. They said it would cost £28.00. I told them I would think about it. 24 hours later, they're offering me a free replacement. What do you know? Seems they're not as dumb as they first appear!

Thanks for the info. Smile
[/quote]
Sky being reasonable? must be turning over a new leaf for 2012 lol!
I was up a ladder in the pouring rain with an iPhone in one hand trying to re-align my sat dish as I wanted to watch the footie and lost connection with all the wind we have had etc. Got it working thankfully!
Gotta love the internet.
(09-01-2012, 09:53 PM)cavalcanti Wrote: Sky being reasonable? must be turning over a new leaf for 2012 lol!

Well, that exact thought did occur to me too!

Quote:I was up a ladder in the pouring rain with an iPhone in one hand trying to re-align my sat dish as I wanted to watch the footie and lost connection with all the wind we have had etc. Got it working thankfully!
Gotta love the internet.

See, now this is precisely why I don't watch football! You could have done a Rod Hull there mate! Not good. Undecided