Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Songs JW DOESN'T like!
Yes, the second half of the Mama album is a bit hit and miss. I don't know if they were still plowing the more experimental area that Abacab saw them embrace but they certainly had less material than usual. And didn't they have a couple of weeks at the start where no material was coming at all? I seem to remember Mike Rutherford saying that in one of the books about the band.
Hi matey

Chapter and Verse makes it quite clear that they struggled during the writing of this album. It does contain two of my least favourite songs Sad
Best wishes

Cool

John
And what a great book that is - just don't drop it on your foot!

Now, see, I love Silver Rainbow. Very Beatlesy to my ears. Funnily enough, Phil head it for the first time in a while after he left the band and recommended it go on a box set (this must have been around the time of the second box set) to which Tony said something to the effect of "Yes, but it's already on an album!".
(04-11-2013, 03:40 PM)Mamas Boy Wrote: And what a great book that is - just don't drop it on your foot!

Okay so.... good Genesis related book recommendations? Is Alan Hewitt's book worth a read? I've picked it up countless times but I've always had another huge book to read at the time, so I put it down again. Right now I'm reading Steve Jobs.

Actually, is Mr. Hewitt on our Mama forum and if not, why not? JW?
I've read Alan's stuff on his website and I've seen his appearance on one of the Genesis DVDs and read posts of his on other forums. I don't think he's a good writer, to be honest, and I don't think he knows an awful lot about music.

I can recommend a few great reads: Genesis A Biography by Bowler and Dray, I Know What I Like by Armando Gallo and The Book of Genesis by Hugh Fielder. In addition to Chapter And Verse, they're my favourite books on the band.
I disagree.

I have three of Alan's books and enjoyed them all.

Opening The Musical Box
Genesis Revisited
Sketches Of Hackett

He has just finished a book detailing Genesis live shows since 1975 (PC era) which is at his publishers at this moment in time.

Each to their own I suppose Wink
Best wishes

Cool

John
(05-11-2013, 01:25 PM)John Wilkinson Wrote: I have three of Alan's books and enjoyed them all.

Opening The Musical Box
Genesis Revisited
Sketches Of Hackett

Blimey, I didn't know he'd written THREE! I think I'm falling behind in my reading. Got to finish the Jobs biography first though.
I don't consider tired and over-used cliches to be an example of good writing and, when compared to the other books I mentioned (apart from Hugh's which is all comments from the band), Alan's style and approach doesn't stand up. Doubtless he's a fan - we're all fans - but being a fan doesn't make you a good writer; writing's a specific talent that Alan Hewitt doesn't have.

I forgot to mention A Live Guide 1969 to 1975 by Paul Russell which is an excellent account of the PG era shows.
Hmmmmmmmm (in Yoda speak)

A pattern forming here do I see Wink

Ah well....Sad
Best wishes

Cool

John
Well, I'm not lost to the dark side just yet - I mean, it's only Alan Hewitt's stuff that I don't rate; the other books are marvellous.

And, as you said yourself, to each their own. I was just explaining exactly why I don't care for him as a writer.